Sunday, January 31, 2010

My Very First Handmade Gift of the Year!

OK, here it is....my very first handmade gift of the year! I made this rag quilt for my nephew and niece-in-law's (is that a word?) new baby. Well, for the baby shower:



Cute, right? And here's a close-up of the face:




It's actually quite large. Of course, I forgot to measure exactly how big it is but I'd say it's probably 3 feet wide and maybe close to 5 feet long. Yeah, it's a big sucker. Now, before you go thinking, "Oh, Darci probably has lots of sewing experience under her belt to make something this awesome", (that is what you were thinking, right? Right?) the answer would be a resounding NO! I can sew a straight line and sometimes not even that. But I fell in love with this pattern so I decided to give it a try.

I'm not gonna lie to you.....it kind of stressed me out. I had never actually used a pattern before but I thought the instructions would be pretty self explanatory. When I read the instructions, I immediately thought, "Oh crap" and ran out to buy a "Everything you need to know about sewing" book. And a seam ripper. I also had a little difficulty with the embroidery for the mouth....if you look closely, it sort of looks like an old lady putting on lipstick.

But I think it turned out pretty good and I see a few more these rag quilts in my future. I'm working on my next gift and I can't wait to show it to you!

3 comments:

  1. Sweet! I love it. It looks great - and a lot of work. I would've thought you'd been sewing for years!
    Tony

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVED this one. I can't wait to see the rest of the gifts you make this year. You are inspiring me to get crafty again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who are you, and what have you done with DARCI?!?!

    :-)

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete